Coronan the Barbarian

Editor in Chief before he grew the beard

“I am the distance you put between all of the moments that we will be.” Leonard Cohen

Literati

Muscles flexing, sweat and wet in the  midday sun, he trots, then canters, then gallops astride his steed with alarming speed, brandishing a terrible swift sword, the lieutenant who is only following orders of the Grim Reaper.  Coronan the Barbarian.  He slices a six-foot swath between us. The magnet and iron of our attraction to one another fails us, and we are thwarted by fear and prudence.  We obey, and keep our distance. But we plot.

Do we fear because we are helpless, or helpless because we fear?

We are not helpless.

We are a disciplined army with a proven arsenal of defense: inspiration and faith.

We keep a physical distance, but not a social one.  Think back.  How many of you have sworn that the relationships you have made on line are just as real, just as enduring as anything face-to-face? I am certainly in that number. For ten years, though it has waxed and waned, this site has been forging unbreakable relationships replete with all of humanity’s best elements: compassion, curiosity, love, respect, and expression of self in a trusted and trusting on-line environment. Love of the written word, and in awe of its ability to connect us to one another.

So let’s put that to use now to combat Coronan the Barbarian. His latent gift is to restore our resolve to communicate openly and frankly with one another regardless of any isolation his presence imposes. As our friend Victor Villaseñor has said: “Everyone should write, because the opposite DEpression is EXpression.”

“If you’re feeling contempt, well then you tell it.  If you’re tired of the silent night, JESUS, then you yell it!” (Joni Mitchel)

We are putting our contests on hold, but A Word with You Press would like you to send any stories at all about how you are navigating this difficult time, or simply send us the stories that were allowed to germinate with the sudden gift of confinement. We’ll share your stories on line with kindred spirits, the 750 people on our exclusive mailing list.

We are all conformists, but the difference among people is whether it is to their fears or their desires that they conform.  Remember, being alone does not mean being lonely.  Let’s hear from you. Send your stories to thorn@awordwithyoupress.com  AND RESPOND to the stories we post.  People want to hear from you, and be acknowledged.

Being helpless is for many of us a choice.  How do you choose?

1. Avatar
    Diana Diehl says:

Wonderful writing prompt, Thorn! Although the opening verbiage, “…Muscles flexing, sweat and wet in the midday sun…” does tend to sway the imagination in decidedly non-distancing directions. But that’s Thorn All Over, am I right? I hope your request sparks an influx of imaginative stories.

2. Avatar
    Kristine Starr says:

I love this idea Thorn! What a lovely way to invite all of us to stay connected and appreciate each other.
    Sending all the love to the entire community!
    🙂

Pafia Marigold says:

I thought of you Thorn. Where to place you amongst Shakespearean characters was my question and I fear Hamlet gives us the answer in Hamlet Act 5 Scene 1 speaking to a gravedigger and Horatio. It begins with “Let me see. (takes the skull) Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of excellent fancy. …” Read on and discover every person’s fate dear Yorick.

3. Avatar
    Ed Coonce says:

I’ll start working on it right away. However, I’ll be listening to Herbie Hancock’s “Joni Letters” (his take on the Joni Mitchell repertoire) whilst I scratch the parchment, and anything else that needs a good scratch. Or a rub, aye.

4. Avatar

Hmnnn. My responses don’t seem to align with the comments. May my comments are social distancing. Which begs a question: If you insult someone from six feet (1.8 meters) is that social diss tancing?

Pafia Marigold says:

Our Pandora answers only if I pull the trigger, our Poison says only if you are six feet under, our Rufia says only for sharks while surfing, our Pru is giggling, our Parisianne is saying, come closer, our Pete is circling, our Angelic visitor is opening her brolly, I, Pafia am not accepting any more roses other than from one who hasn’t written here yet and our Michelle wrote a story as requested which has been submitted. We will only feel the diss tance if not published.

5. Avatar
    Pafia Marigold says:

Love me, neutral, hate me, SILENCE is the worst in times of crisis. We are connected in various ways of caring so despite BOUNDARIES of distancing &/or hurt feelings please check in here. This would help not only myself, but also my DID alters who have submitted works to AWWYP in the past. We do wish each of you health and those you love and care for. Blessings, Pafia