Literati! At last! The contest. You are visiting A Word with You Press because there is not a successful twelve step program for our shared addiction. Some of us do it secretly, late at night, when the kids can’t see us. Some of us do it shamelessly in public places that dose us with caffeine. …
Literati! At last! The contest.
You are visiting A Word with You Press because there is not a successful twelve step program for our shared addiction. Some of us do it secretly, late at night, when the kids can’t see us. Some of us do it shamelessly in public places that dose us with caffeine. Some of us do it on lunch breaks, and some of us do it when the suit patrolling the aisle between cubicles can’t really see what’s on our screen. (Mac!) It’s true what they say: 95% of all writers write, and the other 5% lie!
“No, hon, just checking my emails.”–Liar!
“Hey! Found a bargain on Craigslist!”–Liar! Liar!
“No, honest! I was just surfing the porn sites!” —LIAR LIAR PANTS ON FIRE!
You were writing. You know you were. We know you were. Here’s your chance to come clean. We are your enablers.
Welcome to our first contest since our site reboot(y)
You didn’t write that
In 150 to 200 words excluding the title, write us a story that uses the words “You didn’t write that”. Maybe you got busted writing graffiti? Embarrassed writing a love poem? Your mom found your journal? Or maybe you startled yourself finding something you had written years ago, and wondered how you could ever write something so good/bad/meaningful/meaningless. Maybe you wrote something so poignant people could not believe you wrote it, and are seeing you in a different way for the first time. Maybe you are Fareed Zacharia’s editor at the Washington Post?
What we want to come through is why you do it in the first place. We’ll settle for entertainment, but we’re really looking for you to tell us why you’ll never be able to beat the habit.
All entries must be submitted(ahhh, submission! It’s great to be back on the site again!) by midnight Oceanside time October 15th. Three finalists will be immediately selected, and two will die after a quick battle.
By submitting your work, you are giving AWwYP the right to a trial marriage with your daughter, and the right to publish your work on this site, or on line or one time rights in hard copy. We reserve the right not to publish anything that is sent to us.
Each entry must be double spaced, 12 point Times New Roman font and must contain a title, and author email and contact info (which we will not publish) AT YOUR OPTION you may include a link to your website and a request to post that at the end of your story. Send to firstname.lastname@example.org. Up to two entries per author.
(The animal farmer in the pic has really got his fingers into something– but it’s really not my type.)