Mystery writer is here AGAIN

YO!…I mean Yo-Yo. What can be more frustrating than a relationship that reverses course, is within your grasp, and than spirals away with regenerated momentum? Who is the Mysterious CB? She’s not telling. Perhaps she is spiraling to a theater near you, or is at the end of her tether.

AGAIN – I KNOW

by CB

Dear John,

I know – cliche, huh? I’ve left you beers in the refrigerator. I figure you’re gonna need them after this letter. I figure you were gonna need them anyway. This shouldn’t come as any surprise but I know it will. I’ve gone back to Ralph. It wasn’t working between us and he is the father of my kids after all. He wants to try again and I owe him that.

It must seem crazy to you after all the things I told you about my marriage – the fights, the call-outs to the police, the debts. And all those threatening phone messages he left me before you changed your number. I know how you wanted to save me from all that but no one can save us from our choices.

I don’t think I was using you as an escape route. Being with you was absolutely the right thing for the kids and for me. But they miss their dad and I realized I miss him too.

I know you’d try to talk me out of it so I took the coward’s way and waited till you went to work. Please don’t try to contact me. I’ll call you when I feel strong enough, when I’m ready to hear your voice again.

You probably think this is because of the fight we had about the summer vacation you promised us, but it’s not. And don’t write me – it would only make things difficult for me at home.

I know I’ve left you before, just like I left him on more than one occasion, but this time it’s different. I can’t explain how. Incidentally, I had to empty our checking account to pay for the traveling – I hope that’s okay.

I hope, in time, we can be friends again.

CB

Yo Yo Ma cello to readers of “Again – I Know”. Who doesn’t love a good mystery writer with feminine logic of what is owed and whom she was due from. Putting these humors aside, the story is a country-western song using I statements rather than three chords and the truth.

What I liked most is that life’s decisions, when important, are blurred confusions, because so much depends upon them when issues are not so black and white. Women are indeed a confused progressions of decisions and indecisions going up and down and all around like a yo-yo (had to throw that one in).

My guess due to the humor within the story was almost instantaneous, but I hope incorrect. Who the author pulls us into her drama, missteps of the past and better resolve in writing this letter, so well done. I both laughed and felt those three chord string vibrations for all of the characters given mention to.

I cringed at the last line of “I hope, in time, we can be friends again.”, because I’ve said these words too often myself knowing there is a point of no return where friendships are destroyed especially where sexual intimacy or the suggestions of it have been involved.

I wish you better fortune CB, because perhaps this story is your own in life.

Given the reference to the beer in the refrigerator, I must ask the author if the letters CB are in honor of Charles Bukowski.

• Parisianne Modert says:

O, sorry, Bonnie Parker wasn’t married to Clyde Barrow when she was shot to death at age 23 by the police, but to Roy Thornton, a convict still serving time for robbery. Bonnie and Clyle robbed banks as did the lady in the story, but in very different ways.

Interestingly, as the story of Bonnie and Clyde goes, he didn’t drink, but she drank whiskey not beer or wine.

Here is the last stanza from Bonnie Parker’s poem, “The Street Girl”
          “You see how it is, don’t you Honey?
          I’d marry you now if I could,
          I’d go with you back to the country,
          But I know it won’t do any good,
          For I’m only a poor branded woman,
          And I can’t get away from the past,
          Good-by, and God bless you for asking,
          But I’ll stick it out now till the last.”

3. Kenneth Weene

I recall a song lyric, “Zing went the strings of my heart.” As a kid, I had a yo-yo, but I was never good at it; the string kept getting knotted. I thought I had thrown that darn toy away, but here it is again in a story. Zing.

4. Tiffany V says:

This was a complex story with a simple face. Coming from a dysfunctional family history, that part about it rings so true. Hope is indefatigable, as is time. I really liked this story, but not for any healthy reason. You’ve captured a sliver of honesty in this that hurts. “It has to hurt if it is to heal” – said the witch woman from Neverending Story. So, thanks for that, and besides that, it’s kinda funny. Quirky, with waddling duck oboe music in the beginning of a Broadway musical, or something like it.

I felt like a yo-yo doing the walk. Hopefully the moment of choice doesn’t turn into regret. On second thought maybe its time to lose the one leaving – can’t seem to make up the mind. Good flow to this

6. Mac Eagan says:

I meant to come back to this one, all while something in the back of my brain kept chanting, “CB – CB – CB.”
    Then it hit me. There once was a CB who would regularly glide into this site. A talented writer who always seemed a little (or a lot) unsure of herself. And so I must comment from two perspectives: one assuming I know this CB and one assuming she is a new CB.
    And then Thorn said CB is “definitely not an honest woman.” Thorn is very good at keeping secrets and then (secretly) letting you know he’s got a secret. Such as that remark. Was Thorn saying CB was not honest or not a woman? I once got in a lot of trouble with my CB (“my” is referential, not possessive) for not realizing her gender. Don’t want to do that again.

• Mac Eagan says:

If this is my CB (again, referential not possessive) then it is quite a departure from what I remember and shows growth. This is a story without being a story. It is a summary of a story. The reference to the undelivered summer vacation is but one line, but that is all we need to prompt us to fill in the gaps of any arguments on that topic that preceded this letter.
      The dialogue is very earthy and human, the grammar is imperfect, and this all solidifies the story as coming from a “real” character. Whether these words are truly the author’s own or are recycled from someone else, the heart is there.
      Since comments are limited to 750 characters I will only add that this is a good piece of work and ask one question:
      What’s up, Chuck?

• Mac Eagan says:

If this is a new CB and not the one I recall, please read and apply the above comments to yourself, except for the parts about departure and growth.
      I commended the “bad” grammar for its authenticity but have to now qualify that the commendation is based on remembering the old CB as generally having good grammar in her writing.
      For dialog (and what is a monologue except the dialog of a single person?) grammatical mistakes can be used to build and define a character. But it must be done purposefully and that requires something as a contrast to show the author’s technical skill.
      To that end, I say to the new CB (if that is who this really is) continue writing and submitting stories and let us see all of your talent.